Monday, June 23, 2014

Five Forms of Text

1. eBooks: As an avid reader, owning a Kindle has changed my reading habits in a very good way. With regular books I was limited to where and when I could read; sometimes a particularly bulky book wouldn't fit in my bag or I couldn't read due to lack of proper lighting. A reading device is so much more convenient and one of my most valuable purchases that allows me to read anywhere and has become part of my daily life.

2. Subtitles: Usually an overlooked form of text, I was reminded of their usefulness when my brother (who lives outside of the U.S.) recently came to visit me for a couple of weeks. He does not speak English fluently but thanks to Spanish subtitles we were able to watch TV and movies together without letting the language barrier become an obstacle.





3. User Agreements: I could argue that this form of text is dead because of the fact that no one reads them (be honest), but truth is that they are critical in a legal sense for the companies that provide them. They insist on user agreements because they're necessary to protect themselves legally and they are standard when signing up for a service or program, especially online.







4. Newspaper editorials: Despite claims that the printing industry is dying, newspaper editorials are still important because many people rely on newspapers -- whether the old-fashioned paper version or the online counterpart -- to get their news, and editorials reflect the opinions an ideologies of the newspaper's editorial board, helping create, reinforce or persuade the beliefs and opinions of the audience.




5. Tax Forms: "Nothing is certain but death and taxes," said someone important. Come April, the majority of the adult population is scrambling to fill out tax forms properly and although usually dreaded, they are a form of text that needs to be read, inevitably.



No comments:

Post a Comment