Monday, July 21, 2014

Near Print and Beyond Paper

The question that got my mind going was "Can a web page unnoticed by Google or other search engines be said to exist in public?" I was like "WHAT? That can happen? A web page can really go unnoticed by the all-knowing Google"The question that followed after though, about the privacy of the files on my laptop really blew my mind though. I always feel like I'm on Big Brother and everything I type is subject for future investigation. Maybe I'm just paranoid.

I think the text does a great job of capturing my daily woes of paranoia, and introduces the PDF in an informative way. I'm not certain that I can agree that the PDF is not a "living document". I understand the point that the writer is trying to make but I don't think a PDF is as permanent as Gitelman makes it seem. And comparing it to a printed work just completely loses me. Can anyone convince me that a printed work is more living than a PDF?

On a nerdy note, I am loving all of the technical language. From the portion about The Intrex (How neat is that?!) to an explantion of CAD that actually made sense, I'm appreciative of how much information is put into the digital text, that is comparable to what was displayed for the earlier forms of texts.

The paperless office is an idea that constantly travels my mind. I cringe everytime someone prints someone sends something to the printer or prints an email for me instead of forwarding it. Some of my older coworkers have been conditioned to mark up things with pencil and that's the only way they will do it. With the upcoming generation moving into things like tablets over textbooks, do you think the paperless office will fully be accepted, as the older generation begins to leave the workforce?

No comments:

Post a Comment